1. ‘Here is your son’ here is your mother’: In this revelatory formula, the one who speaks is revealing the mystery of the special salvific mission that the one referred to will undertake; thus the son ship and motherhood proclaimed from the cross are of value for God’s plan and are related to what is being accomplished in the elevation of Jesus on the cross.
2. As He looked upon her, He saw that the prediction of Simeon was now fulfilled, ‘A sword shall pierce through thine own heart also’, He had loved her all His life, and His life was never more grateful, more tender, more compassionate than now. He was bearing the burden of a world’s sin and sorrow; yet there was room in His sacred heart for affectionate thoughts of His beloved mother.
3. We cannot but reverentially admire the self forgetfulness of the crucified redeemer: We know that the Lord Jesus was exquisitely sensitive to suffering, Yet even amidst the aguish of body and of mind, which He was then enduring, the Saviour was able to turn away His thoughts from Himself to her who gave Him birth, who had often shared the honour and the trial of His ministry, and who had now, with notable fortitude and sympathy, come to witness his death.
4. In becoming mother of the beloved disciple, Mary is symbolically evocative of Lady Zion who, after the birth pangs, brings forth a new people in joy.
5. The Church Fathers like Athanasius, Ephiphanius and Hilary so interpreted the episode to prove Mary’s perpetual virginity: if she had other sons, Jesus would not have entrusted her to John son of Zebedee.
For the past one week, I had the great privilege to be very close with our Blessed Mother. On her Birthday I was in Shivaji Nagar Basilica from and also on the occasion of the feast of Mother of Mines – Kolar Gold Fields (12th Sep). I had witnessed the thousands of devotees and prayed for them all. The simple faith which people manifested was a great challenge for my own faith. Interestingly enough there were more female folks than male folks. When I saw the Mothers crying loud to the Heavenly mother asking for several intentions, I was deeply moved. Almost all their intentions were for their children and their spouses (other –centred). Since I was present very close to our Blessed Mother’s statue, they all asked me to pray for their intentions and they specified their intentions too. There were mothers who have lost their sons and daughters, there were mothers who suffered misunderstanding, there were mothers who cried due to their insecure situations, and there were mothers who cried for peace in the family. We might not understand their prayers but certainly our Lady will understand their pain. After all she underwent all these pains during her earthly life. No wonder why so much people come and get healed because only those who were wounded know the need and necessity of healing. Let us all go to our Blessed Mother with little more faith and confidence, she will surely send us back with smiling faces.
Our Lady of Sorrow – Pray for us
The Pulpit Commentary
The Anchor Bible Series – Raymond Brown
Sacra Pagina Series