Matthew 11:28 - 12:1 28 "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
A man came upon a little boy carrying a still smaller boy, who was lame, upon his back. ‘That’s a heavy burden for you to carry,’ said the man. ‘That’s no a burden,’ came the answer. ‘That’s my little brother’ The burden which is given in love and carried in love is always light.
1. Jesus’ invitation is to those who are exhausted with the search for the truth. The Greeks have said: ‘It is difficult to find God, and, when you have found him, it is impossible to tell anyone else about it. It is Jesus’ claim that the weary search for God ends in Jesus himself.
2. To the Jews, religion was a thing of endless rules. People lived their lives in a forest of regulations which dictated every action. They must listen to the voice which says ‘You shall not’ forever.
3. In Palestine, ox-yokes were made of wood. The ox was brought, and the measurement was taken carefully. The yoke was then roughed out and they brought back the ox and have the yoke tried on. The yoke was tailor-made to fit the ox. They did not want to hurt the neck of the patient animal.
4. There was a legend that says Jesus made the best yokes in all Galilee. Being a carpenter by profession, Jesus surely would know about yokes.
5. Every human being has his/her yoke, which he/she has to carry during the earthly journey. From birth he/she learns from others how to live and how to do his/her task. The only master who can teach and assure true rest (of body, mind and spirit) is Christ and the only yoke that really fits and proves to be easy is the yoke of Christ.
One of the reasons why Christianity remains unique is the challenges it poses. Jesus did not promise comfortable and cozy life. He was frank in stating the difficulties that would come along as we follow Him. The moment we experience His love, our yokes (sufferings, challenges, persecution etc) becomes light. It is not an easy job for the mother to carry the child for nine months. She does not act as if there are no inconveniences during her pregnancy period. But what makes her to carry the child is the love that she has for her child and the hope she places in the child.
The Preacher’s Outline and the Sermon Bible
William Barcaly the New Daily Study Bible